The NHS core content is a good source of quality information that can be used for academic study and current awareness. There are some overlaps between the NHS and the Manchester Metropolitan University resources but there are also features unique to each, so it is worthwhile using both resource collections when searching for literature.
The online resources that qualifying students can access include:
- BMJ Online Journals Collection
- Comprises more than 20 leading medical titles on specialist clinical areas, public health and evidence-based medicine
- EBSCOhost databases
- Including Health Business Elite, MEDLINE (PubMed) and CINAHL with full text
- Map of Medicine
- Evidence-based, practice-informed care maps which connect the knowledge and services around a clinical condition (personal registration required)
- NHS Evidence Book Collection
- Provided by MyiLibrary - more than 400 eBook titles available to view online or download
- NHS Evidence Journals and Databases
- These include: BNI (British Nursing Index), EMBASE, and HMIC (Health Management Information Consortium)
The NHS core content collection is only available to qualifying students on courses which include practice and placement within NHS provider services, for the duration of their programme and the staff who teach them. Qualifying students include those on the following programmes:
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Contemporary Health Practice
- BSc (Hons) Community Health
- BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science
- BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy
- BSc (Hons) Psychology and Speech Pathology
- BSc (Hons) Specialist Community Public Health Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy
- BSc (Hons) SCPHN
- MSc Adult Nursing
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Degree Apprenticeship (2 and 3 year programme)
- Msc Advanced Clinical Practice (modular route)
- MSc Mental Health Nursing
- MSc Physiotherapy (pre reg)
- MSc Speech and language therapy programme
- Return to Practice
- Return to practice unit (in CPD flexible portfolio)
- PgDip SCPHN
- PgDip Community Health
- Non-medical prescribing (NMP and V150)
- Nursing Associates
- FDSc Health and Care Practice (Nursing Associate)
- FDSc Healthcare Science (part of Science & Engineering Faculty)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for an account through Manchester Metropolitan.
Please check your email account for the activation link to the Athens site. Once the account has been activated, you can set your own Athens password and log-in.
Note: If you do not click on the link to activate your Athens account it will expire. If you have problems with access, please email email@example.com to re-activate your account.
- Other Manchester Metropolitan students who are employees of the NHS and who don't meet the above criteria should be able to obtain an NHS Athens login from their local NHS trust library.
- If you are undertaking a short placement within an NHS Trust setting, from a course not listed above, you may be eligible for Athens Core Content access through the local Trust Library. Please make contact with your local Trust Library to find out more. Those undertaking a placement in the Manchester area can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Trafford http://email@example.com .
- The Athens login can only be used to access the NHS core content and should not be confused with the e-resources provided by Manchester Metropolitan Library for which you need an Manchester Metropolitan University login - the two sets of IDs and passwords are not interchangeable.